What Do You Believe?
What Do You Believe ... About the Role of Government?
Directions: On a sheet of paper, indicate whether you agree or disagree with the statement by writing the letter appearing before the word which best reflects your opinion as follows:
A - strongly agree B - agree C - disagree D - strongly disagree
If you have mixed feelings about an item (e.g., you’d agree with the item in certain instances, but not in others), select either B or C, depending upon whether you feel slightly more positive or slightly more negative.
1. The U.S. should create a “Medicare for All” plan that provides health insurance for all who want it.
2.. The financial well-being of businesses should take priority over environmental concerns.
3. Retraining police and reorganizing police departments to provide more effective service in all
situations is vital to ensuring life, liberty, and justice for all.
4. When the wealthy do better financially, we all do better financially. Economic benefits “trickle down.”
5. Regulations regarding gun ownership should be under the purview of Congress and should
be consistent nation-wide.
6. At present, reopening schools and businesses is more important than containing the spread of the coronavirus.
7. The government should play no role in women’s reproductive decision making.
8. The stock market is more important than a living wage for workers.
9. Every four years, each political party should publish a platform spelling out their goals and
policies for the upcoming four years.
10. Other countries should be encouraged to get involved in our elections.
11. The U.S. should participate with other nations in developing an effective global public health system.
12. A president should lie if he thinks the truth would upset the populace.
13. The peaceful transfer of power from one president and one political party to another is a
hallmark of our democracy.
14. Passing a bill to assist those who have lost jobs because of the covid crisis is more important
than appointing a conservative to the Supreme Court..
15. The character of the president is an important factor in the successful functioning of our
16. The U.S. doesn’t need allies in the world; we’re stronger if we “go it alone.”
17. Serious presidential debates help voters make informed decisions about which candidate to support.
18. Preventing abortion is more important than ensuring the safety and well-being of families
who need help with food and shelter.
19. Community colleges and four-year public colleges and universities should be tuition free for students
from low and moderate income families.
20. Information from the Center for Disease Control and other scientific governmental
agencies should be approved by the White House before being released to the public.
21. Improving economic mobility for people of color would benefit all of us.
22. Wealth and employability should be the most important criteria in deciding who should
be allowed to immigrate to the U.S.